One of the most common questions about eating disorders is how to help someone who is struggling with an eating disorder and it’s not too hard to understand why. Eating disorders are extremely complex mental illnesses that have both psychological and physical aspects and it can be very easy to trigger someone that is suffering.
Here are 7 suggestions that can benefit your relationship and interaction with someone who is suffering, or who you think may be suffering from an eating disorder:
- You cannot save or fix someone who is suffering from an eating disorder.
- Do not comment on weight or their appearance. Keep your focus on how they feel.
- Listen more than you speak. Listen openly and without judgment. Provide a safe space for them to express their emotions.
- Encourage them to seek out professional help.
- Validate their feelings, fears and pain.
- Avoid talking about food
- Ask them how you can help.
Watch the video below to learn more + don’t forget to subscribe!
The opinions and information shared in this article may not represent that of Libero Network Society. We hold no liability for any harm that may incur from reading content on our site. Please always consult your own medical professionals before making any changes to your medication, activities, or recovery process.